| Prof. Daniel Kráľ |
|Address:||Faculty of Informatics|
|602 00 Brno|
|E-mail: || dkral -at- fi.muni.cz|
|WWW: || http://www.ucw.cz/~kral/ |
Academic qualifications and achievements
- October 2018-now, Donald Ervin Knuth Professor, Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University, Brno
September 2018, professor, Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University, Brno
- February 2021-now, honorary professor, Department of Computer Science and Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick
October 2012-December 2020, professor, Mathematics Institute and Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick (since Sep 2018 part-time)
member of the Centre for Discrete Mathematics and its Applications (DIMAP)
- July 2010-September 2012, associate professor, Department of Applied Mathematics (2010-11) and Computer Science Institute (2012), Charles University, Prague
February 2011-December 2012, adjunct researcher, Department of Mathematics, University of West Bohemia, Pilsen
- August 2006-June 2010, researcher, Institute for Theoretical Computer Science, Charles University, Prague
- October 2005-July 2006, visiting assistant professor and Fulbright scholar, School of Mathematics, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta
- August-September 2005, researcher, Department of Applied Mathematics, Charles University, Prague
- October 2004-July 2005, postdoc, Institute for Mathematics, Technical University Berlin; the position was funded by the European training network COMBSTRU
- November 2001-September 2004, junior researcher, Institute for Theoretical Computer Science, Charles University, Prague
September 2001-August 2004, PhD student, Charles University, Prague
- Editor-in-Chief: SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics (2017-2022)
- Managing editor: Advances in Combinatorics (since 2018), Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series B (since 2022)
- Associate editor: Discrete Mathematics (since 2010), Discrete Optimization (2010-2016), SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics (2012-2016 and since 2023)
- Editorial board membership: Journal of Graph Theory (2008-2021), European Journal of Combinatorics (since 2009), LIPIcs - Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics (since 2021), Bulletin and Journal of the LMS (since 2023), Foundations of Computational Mathematics (since 2023)
- member of the Steering Committee of SODA (2016-22)
- member of the Advisory Board of TheoretiCS (2019-22)
- Program committee chair: Canadian Discrete and Algorithmic Mathematics Conference (CANADAM) 2019
- Program committee co-chair: Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science (MFCS) 2020, European Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Applications (Eurocomb) 2023, Workshop on Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science (WG) 2024
- Program committee membership: WG'06, MFCS'10, SODA'12, SOFSEM'12, IPEC'12, ICALP'13, EuroComb'13, SOFSEM'14, WG'14, SODA'15, EuroComb'15, FCT'15, MEMICS'15, CanaDAM'17, STACS'18, DMD'18, EuroComb'19, DMD'20, EuroComb'21, MFCS'21, DMD'22, WG'23, MFCS'23
- 2023 ERC Consolidator Grant PE1 Mathematics panel (chair)
- 2021 ERC Consolidator Grant PE1 Mathematics panel (member)
- Organizing committee membership: SIAM DM'12, BCC'15, SIAM DM'16, Eurocomb'23 (co-chair)
- Organization of schools and workshops: CCOSA Fall School 2011, CCOSA Winter School 2013, ICMS workshop on Extremal Combinatorics 2014, LMS-CMI Research school on Regularity and Analytic Methods in Combinatorics 2015, Oberwolfach workshop on Graph Theory 2016, Workshop on Algorithms, Logic and Structure 2016, 10 Year Anniversary DIMAP Workshop 2017, Workshop in Honour of Mike Paterson's 75th Birthday 2017, Workshop on Structural Sparsity, Logic and Algorithms 2018, Oberwolfach workshop on Graph Theory 2019, DIMEA Days 2019, Czech and Slovak Conference Graphs 2020, Dagstuhl workshop Sparsity in Algorithms, Combinatorics and Logic 2021, Oberwolfach workshop on Graph Theory 2022, Workshop: Interfaces of the Theory of Combinatorial Limits 2022 (Erdős Center), DIMEA Days 2022, Focused Workshop on Combinatorics of Integer Programming 2023 (Erdős Center), Oberwolfach workshop on Graph Theory 2025
Supervision of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows
- Postdocs: Jean-Sébastien Sereni (2006-08), Louis Esperet (2008-09), František Kardoš (2009-10), Demetres Christofides (2010-11), Ján Mazák (2011-12), Andrew Treglown (2011-12), Roman Glebov (2013), Anita Liebenau (2013-15), Ping Hu (2014-17), Tamás Hubai (2015-17), Péter Pál Pach (2017-18), Jonathan Noel (2017-18), Andrzej Grzesik (2017-21), Robert Hancock (2019-20), Adam Kabela (2019-21), Fiona Skerman (2019), Théo Pierron (2019-20), Jan Volec (2019), Samuel Mohr (2020-22), Ander Lamaison (2020-), Frederik Garbe (2021-23), Jan Grebík (2023-)
- Former PhD students: Pavel Nejedlý (Charles University, 2008), Jan Hladký (Charles University, 2013), Jan Volec (University of Warwick and Université Paris Diderot - Paris 7, 2014, co-advised with Jean-Sébastien Sereni), Lukáš Mach (University of Warwick, 2015), Tereza Klimošová (University of Warwick, 2015), Taísa Lopes Martins (University of Warwick, 2018), Yanitsa Pehova (Warwick, 2020), Timothy F. N. Chan (Monash University and University of Warwick, 2021, co-advised with David Wood), Jacob Cooper (Masaryk University, 2022)
- Current PhD students: Daniel Iľkovič (co-advised with Richard Montgomery), Kristýna Pekárková, Xichao Shu
- Structural, extremal and algorithmic graph theory
- Analytic methods in combinatorics, in particular, combinatorial limits
- Logic and matroid methods in algorithm design
Selected papers (the full list is available here)
- V. Cohen-Addad, M. Hebdige, D. Kráľ, Z. Li, E. Salgado: Steinberg's Conjecture is false, Journal of Combinatorial Theory Series B 122 (2017), 452-456.
- J. W. Cooper, D. Kráľ, T. Martins: Finitely forcible graph limits are universal, Advances in Mathematics 340 (2018), 819-854.
- Z. Dvořák, D. Kráľ, R. Thomas: Testing first-order properties for subclasses of sparse graphs, Journal of ACM 60 (2013), article no. 5:36.
- L. Esperet, F. Kardoš, A. King, D. Kráľ, S. Norine: Exponentially many perfect matchings in cubic graphs, Advances in Mathematics 227 (2011), 1646-1664.
- R. Glebov, D. Kráľ, J. Volec: Compactness and finite forcibility of graphons, Journal of the EMS 21 (2019), 3199-3223.
- A. Grzesik, D. Kráľ, L. M. Lovász: Elusive extremal graphs, Proceedings of the LMS 121 (2020), 1685-1736.
- D. Kráľ, O. Pikhurko: Quasirandom permutations are characterized by 4-point densities, Geometric and Functional Analysis 23 (2013), 570-579.
- D. Kráľ, O. Serra, L. Vena: A Removal Lemma for systems of linear equations over finite fields, Israel Journal of Mathematics 187 (2012), 193-207.
- D. Kráľ, J. Volec, F. Wei: Common graphs with arbitrary chromatic number, submitted, available as arXiv:2206.05800.